Peaceful, social justice, harmonious and sustainable living space.
to use architecture and local knowledge as a media to organise community by community-led (people-driven) approaches and refers to the needs (demand-driven).
ArkomJogja work with Marginalized community in the slum and rural area, heritage site and pre/post disaster. Arkomjogja used architecture as a media to organise community in the local until national level as well as displaced and marginalised opulation (emergency, natural/social disaster, eviction, etc.) at the regional level (Asia network).
Community Architects movement inspiring by individual work as professional staf on the reconstruction Post Tsunami Aceh under Urban Poor Linkage (UPLINK) Indonesia on 2005-2007. Here some architects, civil engineers, community organisers and secretariat staff introduced a new approach on the development, that approach is people-driven. After succesfully doing reconstruction in 23 villages, build 3.331 houses and all infrastructures project with community network organisation, some of technical and social staff think that this knowlededges that we got in Aceh should not be abandoned.
Finally on July 2007 some of ex-Aceh staff met in Yogyakarta City and agreed to establish a new organisation with the spirit to keep our knowledge and approach in Aceh must be continued with real work in the urban, rural, heritage and post disaster context in Indonesia.
Yogyakarta city is important city, because in Yogyakarta we have many experience before (as individual) in the post-earthquake reconstruction, sulm area, heritage site and threatened by Merapi volccanic eruption.
. 1.Create housing security and housing rights for all.
2. Promoting People-driven approach in the development process in Indonesia.
3. Strenghtening people oraganisastion networks using local knowledge and local building masterials as a freedom movement.
4. Reinforcing the genuine identity of Indonesia Community Architecture.
5. Community Architecture as a new sosial movemnet in Indonesia.
• Community Development Category on the International Habitat Day Award 2014 from Ministry of Public Works Indonesia.
• CONTEXT AND CLIEN CATEGORY, INDONESIAN ARCHITECTS INSTITUTE AWARD CERTIFICATE, National Indonesian Institute of Architect Award 2008.
• DUBAI HABITAT INTERNATIONAL (WHA) AWARD 2007 CERTIFICATE, to improving the new living environment for the project: “Integrated People-driven Reconstruction Post Tsunami In Aceh”.
“...architecture is not a 'free' artistic activity but a science-based profession that is concerned with problem solving....these problems need to be discovered and identified.” “...designers' satisfaction should come from problem identification and solving."
"Poor is more, have you ever learn from the poor people, have you ever listen them, what do they need, what do they dream"
We are making the road by walking…..